I decided to start keeping track of the recipes I try in a blog as opposed to keeping a "recipe drawer" where I can never find anything that I am looking for! Oftentimes, I am short on time and just want to have a dish made quickly and easily. I do not claim to be a chef by any means but enjoy cooking when I have the time!

My husband is a vegetarian so many of these are either vegetarian or have ingredients that can be substituted with meatless products (Morning Star, Boca, tofu, beans, mushrooms, etc).

Monday, February 13, 2012

Breakfast Egg Nests

I like to be able to take breakfast to work with me but sometimes I need a change from bagels or cereal or such. I can make these on Sunday then freeze them, and then on the night before work just take them out to defrost. Easy and they pack some yummy ingredients. And the good thing about these is that you could add different vegetable and meat mixtures depending on what you like!

Ingredients:
12 egg whites or a carton of  Egg Beaters Egg Whites
1/2 a green pepper diced,
1 tomato diced,
4 sausage links chopped (I used a Morning Star version)
3 cups (or so) Shredded potatoes (I bought the pre-shredded kind and they worked perfectly)
1 tbsp olive oil
12 1/2 inch cubes of Monteray cheese (or any that you like)
1/2 cup of cheddar cheese (optional)
Salt/pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Prehet over to 350. Spray cupcake pan with cooking spray.
2. In a pan, heat the oil. Add in the potatoes and continue cooking until they are golden brown. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Take a spoonful of the potatoes and put them in each of the cupcake holes. Make a "nest" out of the potatoes by pressingthem into the bottom and up the sides a bit to creat a shallow bowl.
4. Add in the green peppers, tomatoes and sausage. Put a cube of cheese on top of each.
5. Fill with the egg white mixture then sprinkle with salt and pepper. If you would like it to be very cheesy, then sprinkle each with the cheddar cheese.
6. Bake in the over for about 20 minutes until they are just starting to turn a golden brown on top then serve!

 Without cheddar

 With cheddar

No comments:

Post a Comment