I decided to start keeping track of the recipes I try in a blog as opposed to keeping a "recipe drawer" where I can never find anything that I am looking for! Oftentimes, I am short on time and just want to have a dish made quickly and easily. I do not claim to be a chef by any means but enjoy cooking when I have the time!

My husband is a vegetarian so many of these are either vegetarian or have ingredients that can be substituted with meatless products (Morning Star, Boca, tofu, beans, mushrooms, etc).

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Easy Breezy Breakfast Casserole

This is a super easy breakfast to put together in the mornings and really tasty. The best part is that you can just put in whatever veggies or meats you have lying around. I came up with this recipe after reading several other recipes and then going for what I thought would be good. After it is cooked and cooled, I like to section it up in individual portions then wrap in tin foil and put in the freezer so I can take it to work with me.


Ingredients:
2 cups of cubed bread, I use pumpernickel or sourdough (cubes about 1/2 inch thick is fine)
1 pint of egg beaters, more or less depending on how much egg to veggie ratio you like  (use egg whites for a bit of a healthier version)
1.5 cup cheese, shredded (I used cheddar)
1.5 cups sliced breakfast sausage links, cooked and drained (I used Morning Star sausage links)
1/2 cup green pepper, diced
1 tomato, diced
2/3 cup of cream of mushroom soup (cream of chicken may also be substituted)
hot sauce, a couple of dashes to taste
salt and pepper, to taste

*feel free to add any other vegetables or crumbled bacon

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
2. Layer bread cubes along the bottom of the pan. Layer the other vegetables and sausage on top of that.
3. In a bowl, mix the egg mixture and cream of mushroom soup along with salt and pepper and hot sauce. Pour the mixture over the bread and veggies. Sprinkle the cheese of top of this.
4. Bake in the over for about 30-40 minutes until you insert a knife and it comes out clean.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment