I decided to start keeping track of the recipes I try in a blog as opposed to keeping a "recipe drawer" where I can never find anything that I am looking for! Oftentimes, I am short on time and just want to have a dish made quickly and easily. I do not claim to be a chef by any means but enjoy cooking when I have the time!

My husband is a vegetarian so many of these are either vegetarian or have ingredients that can be substituted with meatless products (Morning Star, Boca, tofu, beans, mushrooms, etc).

Monday, January 23, 2012

Croissant French Toast

My husband's favorite food is french toast so I thought I'd experiment and try some different recipes. I found this recipe and, despite it being a tad on the unhealthy side, whipped it up one morning! It was very yummy but very sweet (in case you like the savory type of breakfasts). I made a bunch so ended up freezing some of them and just defrosting and baking to reheat and they still tasted good.

Ingredients:
2/3 cup half and half or milk
3 eggs
1/3 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon grated orange peel (I omitted this as I didn't have any oranges)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 1-day-old croissants, halved lengthwise

2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
Powdered sugar
Maple syrup


To make:
Whisk first 8 ingredients in medium bowl. Add croissants to egg batter and turn until thoroughly coated.
Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add croissants and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 3-5 minutes per side. Sift powdered sugar over. Serve with maple syrup.


Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Croissant-French-Toast-1857#ixzz1kJzkhrb4
Originally from Bon Appétit, May 1991

No comments:

Post a Comment