I decided to start keeping track of the recipes I try in a blog as opposed to keeping a "recipe drawer" where I can never find anything that I am looking for! Oftentimes, I am short on time and just want to have a dish made quickly and easily. I do not claim to be a chef by any means but enjoy cooking when I have the time!

My husband is a vegetarian so many of these are either vegetarian or have ingredients that can be substituted with meatless products (Morning Star, Boca, tofu, beans, mushrooms, etc).

Monday, January 30, 2012

Bacon, Egg & Toast Cups

I have seen many variations of this recipe. Some suggest using bread just on the bottom of the muffin cup then lining the side of each with bacon. I changed things up a bit from this "Everyday Food" recipe and made the bread into a sort-of-bowl in the muffin cup. I found this to be very easy and yummy but next time I won't cook it as long because I like my eggs a little bit runny and when cooking this, the yolk was actually already hard when I took it out of the over (it didn't look cooked though..... very deceiving!!!).


Ingredients: 
3 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
6 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
6-12 slices bacon or sausage (I made some with Morning Star bacon and others with MStar sausage)
6 large eggs
Coarse salt and ground pepper
Cooking spray

Directions: 
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 6 standard muffin cups. Spread margarine or butter onto one side of the bread then press that side down into a muffin cup carefully (avoid any holes by pushing the bread down to close those gaps). The bread will hang over the sides of the muffin cup.
Alternate directions: Lightly butter 6 standard muffin cups. With a rolling pin, flatten bread slices slightly and, with a 4 1/4-inch cookie cutter, cut into 8 rounds. Cut each round in half, then press 2 halves into each muffin cup, overlapping slightly and making sure bread comes up to edge of cup. Use extra bread to patch any gaps. Brush bread with remaining butter.

2. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium, until almost crisp, 4 minutes, flipping once (or microwave Morning Star bacon or sausage until warm but not crispy). Lay 1-2 bacon slices in each bread cup and crack an egg over each. If using sausage, press it down into the bread cup. Season with salt and pepper. Bake until egg whites are just set, 20 minutes or so depending on if you like the egg runny). Run a small knife around cups to loosen toasts. Serve immediately.

You could also try cooked, crumbled sausage in place of bacon or sauteed spinach and mushrooms. Or dress things up with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.


   

From Everyday Food, September 2010 - http://www.marthastewart.com/330179/bacon-egg-and-toast-cups?czone=holiday/spring-celebrations-cnt/celebration-mother-day

No comments:

Post a Comment