I decided to start keeping track of the recipes I try in a blog as opposed to keeping a "recipe drawer" where I can never find anything that I am looking for! Oftentimes, I am short on time and just want to have a dish made quickly and easily. I do not claim to be a chef by any means but enjoy cooking when I have the time!

My husband is a vegetarian so many of these are either vegetarian or have ingredients that can be substituted with meatless products (Morning Star, Boca, tofu, beans, mushrooms, etc).

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Breakfast Egg Muffins

I found a similar recipe on Pinterest and revamped it completely to suit what I had in the kitchen and what I like. The great thing about these are that they are super easy to grab in the morning and take with you on the go. You can also freeze them so you can portion them out and take them out the night before to let them defrost in the fridge then just grab them in the morning. The other great thing about these are that you can completely customize them to your liking. So use what veggies you like. If you don't have Egg Beaters, use a combo of 8 eggs, 1/4 cup milk, and 1/2 tsp of baking powder.

Ingredients:
Sausage (sweet, mild, hot variety or vegetarian sausage depending on your preference)
Green Pepper - diced
Tomato - diced
Breakfast potatoes - diced  (I bought the precut potatoes from the grocery)
.... Use any combo of ingredients you may like though (mushrooms, brocoli, spinach, bacon, etc)!!
Egg Beaters
salt & pepper to taste
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Grated Cheese (parmesan, cheddar, or whatever you like)
Bread slices (I used wheat)
Butter (a couple of pats) or non-stick spray

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. In a large saute pan, over medium high heat, brown Sausage for about 5 minutes, or until the sausage is no longer pink. Put in a bowl.
3. In that pan, add the oil then brown the potatoes. Remove from the heat.
4. Using a cookie cutter or a drinking glass, cut the wheat bread into circles.
5. Spray a 12-cupcake pan with spray or use a small tab of butter to coat each cupcake hole.
6. Push the bread circles to the bottom of the cupcake mold. Add veggies and sausage to each hole. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
7. Pour the egg mixture over ingredients. Let it sit for a couple of minutes so the egg mixture can soak into the bread.
6. Sprinkle with cheese.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes.  Let it cool for a bit before trying to remove them.

Note: I tried one round with the bread circles in the bottom and one without (just veggies, sausage and egg). They both came out well!


No comments:

Post a Comment