I decided to start keeping track of the recipes I try in a blog as opposed to keeping a "recipe drawer" where I can never find anything that I am looking for! Oftentimes, I am short on time and just want to have a dish made quickly and easily. I do not claim to be a chef by any means but enjoy cooking when I have the time!

My husband is a vegetarian so many of these are either vegetarian or have ingredients that can be substituted with meatless products (Morning Star, Boca, tofu, beans, mushrooms, etc).

Monday, January 30, 2012

White Chicken Enchiladas

I found this recipe on Pinterest and at first didn't jump at it but then started seeing it everywhere. So I read the reviews and they were raving! So I decided to give it a shot and I am super glad I did. These are ridiculously good. Seriously. I made a couple of small adjustments (add onion, extra cheese, and I used Morning Star chicken strips). You have to try these!!!!!

 

Ingredients:
7 or 10 soft flour taco shells (7 large sized, 10 medium sized)
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (or 2 bags of Morning Star chicken strips, shredded)
2.5 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese 
1 onion, chopped
3 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. flour
2 cups chicken broth (I used vegetable broth)
1 cup sour cream
1 (4 oz) can diced green chillies
A couple dashes of garlic salt or garlic powder

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
2. Cook and shread the chicken. Also cook onions (until they are clear). Mix both together with 1 cup cheese and garlic salt. Spoon into tortillas then roll up and place in pan with the end facing down.
3. In a sauce pan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add broth and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
4. Stir in sour cream and chilies. Do not bring to boil, you don't want curdled sour cream.
5. Pour over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.
6. Bake 22 min and then under high broil for 3 min to brown the cheese.
User Suggestions
* Add a can of drained Rotel Tomatoes to the chicken mixture
* Add a cup of salsa to the chicken mixture
* Add cumin and a 4 oz can of diced jalapenos to the chicken mixture
* Add pinto beans or black beans to the chicken mixture.
* Add green peppers to the chicken mixture.


     

From Joyful Momma's Kitchen http://joyful-mommas-kitchen.blogspot.com/2012/01/its-still-all-over-pinterest.html

No comments:

Post a Comment